Halal Monitoring Services
Halal Monitoring Services, a branch of Shariah Board of America (Rahmat-e-Alam Foundation), is a non-profit independent Halal monitoring organization which:
- Certifies and monitors only hand-slaughtered Halal meat according to the principles of Zabiha Halal.
- Monitors the whole chain, from the slaughterhouse, to the distributor, to the retail store or restaurant.
- Makes sure there is no mixing with non-certified meat at any level of the supply.
- Has an independent team of experienced Ulama running the service.
- Generates a network of certified slaughterhouses, grocery stores and restaurants, currently spanning over several cities across 13 states in the US
- Makes proper monitored hand-slaughtered Halal easily accessible throughout America.
- Provides all of services free of cost.
- Has provided services since 2005
HMS works hard to:
- Increase awareness in the general public about the importance of eating Halal.
- Helping Muslim businesses in acquiring certified and monitored hand-slaughtered Halal meat throughout the US.
What is Zabiha?
Zabiha are the rules of slaughtering an animal to make it Halal for consumption. The Conditions of Zabiha:
- At least THREE out of the FOUR main veins of the throat MUST be cut.
- Mentioning the name of Allah at the time of each slaughter
- “Eat not (of meats) on which Allah's name has not been pronounced, and surely it is a sin…” (al-An’aam : 121)
- . Any animal upon which Bismillah is not mentioned intentionally at the time of slaughter, is considered maitah (carrion, or dead meat). Maitah is just as haram as pork.
- The butcher must be a Muslim or Believing Ahlul Kitab
- If one does not know who slaughtered the animal, further researched MUST be done before eating
Note: If ANY ONE of the above conditions is not fulfilled, the meat will be HARAM for consumption.
What is Halal to eat ?
- Halal is that which is permissible and lawful in Islam.
- Haram is what is impermissible, unlawful or prohibited in Islam.
The basic dietary laws for Muslims are:
- ONLY that which is tayyib (pure) is Halal (al-A’raaf:157)
- That which is khabeeth (impure) is Haram (al-A’raaf:157)
- That which is tayyib is Halal, and that which is Halal is tayyib (al-Baqarah:168)
Some Basic Principles of Eating Halal:
- The general ruling in all things is that it is permissible (allowed), unless proven otherwise.
- The principle ruling in meat is that it is impermissible (haram), unless proven otherwise.
Difference between Halal and Zabiha
- Those animals declared as “Halāl”, if they have been slaughtered according to “Zabīha” rules, only then is consuming their meat is “Halāl”.
- If they have not been slaughtered as per the rules of Zabiha, that meat cannot be called “Halāl”. It would be considered as “maitah (Carrion)” which is equally haram as pork.
- There is no difference of Zabiha & Halal in the Quran, Sunnah or any other Fiqh text.
- There is NO DIFFERENCE between HALAL and ZABIHA HALAL. Zabiha is required to consider meat Halal.
What does HMS certified means ?
- Properly Hand slaughtered by Muslim
- Bismillah on each animal
- Random, unannounced inspections are conducted frequently
- Business premises, invoices, merchandises, sales/production records, fridges, etc. inspected to guarantee no mixing with non-Halal
- Ingredients and processes of all products/menu items are fully inspected to ensure purely Halal
- Whole chain of supply is monitored, from the slaughterhouse to the supplier to the store